Blogs

Chillwang

By Chillwang

William Chiang

Advanced guide: Freezing your lane

Sat 14th Apr 2012 - 4:14pm Category: League of Legends

Freezing the lane is a very advanced technique that is very efficient. If you do it right, you can effectively deny all creeps to your opponent while freely acquiring creep score without threat. To start off, you must resist your urge to push your lane; something very new players have trouble doing. Pushing towers does not mean that you are winning your lane. The key to having a manageable frozen lane is having control over yourself so that you do not push.

What a frozen lane means essentially is that the creep wave battle site does not move. When you start a game, the creep waves will meet in the middle of each lane. The most strategic place to freeze your lane is close to your tower but not next to it. Remember what I said earlier about controlling your lane? If your tower is allowed to hit creeps, then it will push the lane back, making your attempts to freeze the lane completely futile. You can tell where the tower will hit minions because of the texture on the map. A tower will hit roughly the area where the dirt on the ground becomes grass.

In order to set up your frozen lane, you need to make sure the enemy minions will always beat your minions. While this is not possible with the first wave, you can set it up by drawing minions over to the side. This requires you to walk in front of the enemy minions coming towards you and guiding them to one side of your lane.

Most of the time, this forces the enemy minions to 2v1 your first melee minion and allow them to push harder. After you have gotten your lane set up, you need to judge how many minions must stay alive in order to keep the lane frozen. Last hitting counts as pushing the lane. If you’re really intent on freezing the lane early, you might not want to last hit for the first minion wave.

For setting up your lane, you're going to want to follow the purple arrows if you're on purple side. You need to approach the 1st minion wave before they meet yours and drag them over to a side:

What I have found to be best for keeping the lane frozen is to make sure that there are always at least 3 caster minions with full health pushing towards you. This means that each wave of your minions should be fighting against at least 3 melee minions and 6 caster minions.

Also, you must keep the melee minions in check. They are the only minions that actually move so if they kill your melee minions too quickly, they will move to attack your caster minions. This could be problematic if your caster minions are within tower range and the tower pushes back. In this case, I would kill off the melee minion as soon as possible because it would have happened anyways.

Now after you perfect this technique, there should be no reason why you can’t freely last hit without taking harass. However, suppose this technique is used against you. How would you unfreeze your lane? The only answer to that is to push harder. This is obviously harder on characters that have no Area of Effect spells because it puts you at a huge risk. You are forced to overextend to gain control of your lane again.

The best bet is the buy a ward to prevent any ganks and start pushing towards the tower. If your opponent can tank your oncoming minion wave and will not let them into tower range, they try to get them to use their Area of Effect spells on the minion waves. If all else fails, the best idea is to start roaming and help out other lanes.

• Sui

Piet Smet
    Sat 14th Apr 2012 - 4:17pm

I actually didn't know I could force the opponent minions to push my lane. Nice guide!

xNeyth
    Sat 14th Apr 2012 - 6:50pm

Could you make a video to explain this? Please :)

What the Moose
    Sun 15th Apr 2012 - 3:09am

Wow, not only did you copy my idea from 4 months ago, you also copied the "Advanced Guide" from my channel... Here is a link to my video uploaded in early December, outlining minion tanking, wave manipulation (lane freezing): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj2l3ilS2Fo Which as you can see was the 3rd installment in my Advanced Guide series. Also posted on Reddit and various other League of Legends media hubs. I have no problem with people recreating content in their own way etc. I also understand this may be coincidence, but when you copy someones work to the degree in this article without crediting the original "producer" it rely undermines the work and effort that "producer" put into their content. This comment will probably get deleted, so... saying this is probably in vain.

NepheneeL
    Sun 15th Apr 2012 - 3:47am

What the Moose, honestly, this is a better guide than yours and goes a bit more in depth by proposing a way to set up a lane freeze, something your guide never did. Your guide was very basic and repetitive, all you said was tank the wave. However , this guide proposes a way for lanes other than top to set up a lane freeze with a minimal amount of damage from tanking. Your guide would not work for mid or bot lane, they would simply take too much damage. I signed up on this website just to say this.

• Chillwang

William Chiang
    Sun 15th Apr 2012 - 3:53am

@xNeyth: I may make a video if I learn how to work all the software. @What the Moose: I actually did not copy your work. Is it copying Guinsoo to say that last hitting every minion possible is the best way to play the game? These are standard techniquese developed by players that should be shared with players so that they may get better. Not only did I go into more depth, but I also gave exact numbers to help people get started. I also outlined a technique that very few people know about. I will admit that I got the idea about 2v1 melee minions at the start from watching someone else, but I do not remember his/her name at this time. These techniques are actually used quite frequently in the DoTA and HoN community, which is where I got it from. The strategy in these communities are much more developed because of the amount of time that is experimented here. Some people take Earthsahaker/Behemoth and block a minion wave so that they pull the line of battle closer to their own tower. No one person takes credit for this even though a select few do it. Even if you take AD kennen, many people have tried it bu M5 popularized it. Basically, stop taking credit for stuff that isn't yours.

• jnsnvt

Jansen Tolle
    Mon 23rd Apr 2012 - 5:59pm

I'd really like to see an article or a followup on how to deal with a frozen lane, or what to do when you're pushed and can't do much about it.