Scarra Discusses Patch 3.5 Balance Update
Thu 11th Apr 2013 - 6:18pm
We asked William 'Scarra' Li about his opinion on the recent balance patch Riot released two days ago. Below you can find the changelog aswell as Scarra's thoughts on each change.
What Riot had to say: As an assassin, Akali should be a champion with high risk and high reward. These changes increase her early game risk while retaining her later game potential.
Mark of the Assassin:
- Initial damage reduced to 35/55/75/95/115 from 45/70/95/120/145
- Mark detonation damage Ability Power ratio increased to 0.5 from 0.4
- Essence of Shadow charge rate increased to 35/25/15 seconds from 25/20/15
Scarra's thoughts: "This nerf was unnecessary in the highest level of play. A 40% nerf in CDR to her ultimate at level 1 seems pretty harsh for a champion that sees very little play. And that base damage nerf on her Q seems like quite a lot. This seems largely like a balance change for lower level players and not something that I welcome."
- Now fires a Big One every 3rd missile instead of every 4thMissile charge rate reduced to 12/10/8 seconds from 12
Scarra's thoughts: This is a step in the right direction. His bombs actually do huge damage. Probably just need a phos bomb mana cost decrease (120~ at 5 is ridiculous) and he'll be in a good spot again.
What Riot had to say: These changes to Karma include several quality of life improvements and enhance her ability to generate multiple Mantras in well-executed fights.
- Mantra cooldown reduction increased to 2 seconds at all levels from 1/1.5/2
- The detonation area now occurs at the actual point of missile impact instead of at the center of the initial target that is hit
- Mana cost reduced to 70/75/80/85/90 from 70/80/90/100/110
- Now applies Gathering Fire's effect on each instance of damage dealt instead of only once on initial application, but now deals damage 3 times over the duration instead of 6
- Movement Speed duration increased to 1.5 seconds from 1.25
- Fixed a bug where the tooltip stated the shield was 80/115/150/185/220 instead of its actual value of 80/120/160/200/240
Mantra Bonus - Defiance
- Movement Speed bonus is now always 60% instead of 20/30/40/50/60% (based on Inspire's current rank)
- Ally shield / haste range increased to 700 from 600
Scarra's thoughts: "Can't really comment on these because I'm not the most experienced with the new karma. 1 Point into E giving 60% movement speed is ridiculous though. Mid karma still seems pretty poor seeing as how her leash is a full 2 seconds to get a snare off (should be something like 1.75s)."
What Riot had to say: Previous to these changes, Kayle's support spells could often be cast completely off-screen from her opponents. With these reduced ranges, it should be easier for opponents to anticipate her presence in fights.
- Cast range reduced to 900 from 1000
- Cast range reduced to 900 from 1200
Scarra's thoughts: "Needed nerf to ult. Nerf on W... eh probably justified as well."
What Riot had to say: On top of her long range and wide array of defensive utility, Lux was also among the fastest ranged champions in the game. These changes force Lux to be more mindful of her timing and positioning as opponents now have more opportunities to capitalize on her mistakes.
- Base Movement Speed reduced to 330 from 340
- Cooldown increased to 80/65/50 seconds from 80/60/40
Scarra's thoughts: "She needed that movement speed nerf. She had base movement speed equivalent to melee champions. Ult cooldown nerf was coming for a long time. She'll still probably get played a lot."
- Mana cost reduced to 50/60/70/80/90 from 60/75/90/105/120
- Mana cost reduced to 100 at all ranks from 100/150/200
Scarra's thoughts: "Meh. Fine but she's just fallen out of favor at the moment."
- Range increased to 2750 from 2500
- Cooldown reduced to 120/110/100 seconds from 140/120/100
- Mana cost reduced to 100 at all ranks from 100/150/200
Scarra's thoughts: "These buffs are very nice. Her Q cooldown is probably still too high to make her super top tier but at the moment she's usable at the least."
- Base Armor increased to 19 from 15
- Cooldown reduced to 22/21/20/19/18 seconds from 26/24/22/20/18
Scarra's thoughts: "Incredibly nice buffs for Nautilus. Helps him get through the early jungle easier which is exactly what he needed help with."
- Cooldown reduced to 110/100/90 seconds from 150/120/90
- Mana cost reduced to 100 from 150
Scarra's thoughts: "This is a weird buff. I don't even know if he needed such a huge lvl 1 ultimate buff or mana cost decrease. Kinda makes his passive unncessary after early game."
- Valor now marks targets slightly more frequently
- Targets are now marked more immediately when Valor lands on the target
- Quinn now lands closer to her target when using Vault from far away
Scarra's thoughts: "Quinn will still be a bad AD Carry. Her ultimate just has too many problems."
Acid Hunter / Noxian Corrosive Charge
- Now displays Acid Hunter's lock-on range while there is a visible, nearby enemy champion marked by Noxian Corrosive Charge
Scarra's thoughts: "I dont have any comments on this."
What Riot had to say: Volibear was both an extremely powerful duelist as well as an almost guaranteed initiator for early skirmishes. In order to preserve his presence as a threatening fighter, these changes instead reduce Volibear's ability to force engagements early on.
- Movement Speed bonus toward champions adjusted to 30/35/40/45/50% from 45% at all ranks
Scarra's thoughts: "I agree with this nerf. His Q should never give that much movement speed for just one point."
Spirit of the Ancient Golem
- New Recipe: Spirit Stone + Kindlegem + 450 gold = 2000 gold (total cost reduced from 2300 gold)No longer grants +30 Armor
- Now grants +10% Cooldown Reduction
Spirit of the Elder Lizard
- New Recipe: Spirit Stone + Long Sword + Long Sword + 500 gold = 2000 gold (total cost reduced from 2300 gold)
- Attack Damage reduced to 45 from 50
- Active Mana cost reduced to 20% current Mana from 25
Toggle damage changed to physical from magic
Scarra's thoughts: "Spirit items may have gotten even better since they got the locket treatment of lower cost. The Maramana change really helps out ADs like Jayce who buy the item, we may see it almost never on ryze now though."
Hope this insight helps you decide what to do ingame. Best of luck!